Saturday, July 5, 2008

Boycott Viacom

I was wondering about a boycott as a plausible solution. I realize major corporations play a major roles in our lives. Boycotting large companies would be next to impossible. Next to that boycotting entertainment is going to be difficult for people to do. I did all the research and have a list of movies and other financial assets of Viacom one must boycott in order for a boycott to succeed.

(If you were interested in specifics because you want to actually boycott, you might skip to the bottom)

In order for a boycott to work, you have to hit hard, fast and last as long as it takes. The biggest problem for the individual is that a large company really is just to large. As one person you don't feel you can make a difference. Especially when you realize just how large of a beast someone like Viacom is.

A press release on there first quarter 2008 profits there are some interesting quotes:

..."Content creation is our central mission and our ongoing investments in programming are paying off as we see our television ratings continue to improve."...

..."Additionally, our Rock Band video game is continuing its successful tour and is emerging as a valuable long-term franchise. We expect to further that success with the upcoming release of Rock Band on the Wii home video game system and our launch in Europe."...

..."Media Networks revenues rose 16% to $2.02 billion, principally driven by strong sales of the music video game Rock Band."...

..."This news release contains both historical and forward-looking statements."..."Forward-looking statements reflect the Company's current expectations concerning future results, objectives, plans and goals, and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that are difficult to predict and which may cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ."..."These risks, uncertainties and other factors include"... "the public acceptance of and ratings for the Company's feature films, programs, digital services and other content"...

From that I'm sure you could gather that Rock Band is on my list of no-no's. Definitely feature films, the box office hit would be horrendous if we all chose to not go to those movies.

Rock Band may be a big shocker to many I'm sure, but are you a Hindu cow secure in your little world or do you want to drive a "steak" into the heart of your persecutors?

So onto the "big list"

Viacom's assets are (from wikipedia Viacom)
Film Production and Distribution
  • Viacom International
  • Paramount Pictures
  • DreamWorks
  • Republic Pictures
  • MTV Films
  • Nickelodeon Movies
  • Go Fish Pictures
Television Networks
  • Comedy Central
  • Logo
  • BET
  • Spike
  • TV Land
  • Nick at Nite
  • Nickelodeon
  • Noggin
  • The N
  • Nick Jr.
  • TEENick
  • MTV
  • VH1
  • MTV2
  • CMT
  • MHD
Television Production and Television Distribution
  • DreamWorks Television
Video Gaming
  • Xfire
  • Harmonix
  • GameTrailers
  • Neopets
Internet Sites
  • Screwattack
That list is ridiculous! The only things on that list worth fighting against directly are the film companies. Its to hard to actually depict lose in television viewers. But you'll end up missing a lot of possibly great films and when you dismantle it into currently marketable assets you find out just what you'll be missing.

What to boycott?
Okay so you want to know the list? Its long! (I only included films with upcoming release dates.)

Films
Paramount Pictures

  • Tropic Thunder (Jul 11)
  • Eagle Eye (Aug 8)
  • Case 39 (Aug 22)
  • Nowhereland (Sep 26)
  • Ghost Town (Fall TBA)
  • Madagascar: The Crate Escape (Nov 7)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Nov 26)
  • Revolutionary Road (Dec 19)
  • Star Trek (Dec 25)
  • A Tale of Two Sisters (TBA)
Nickelodeon Movies
  • Chuckle Bears
  • Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging
Dreamworks Television
  • The United States of Tara
Computer Gaming/Software

Harmonix

  • Rock Band
  • Guitar Hero I - III
Websites
  • GameTrailers
  • NeoPets
  • ScrewAttack
What Viacom owns of Dreamworks is Dreamworks Television, from what I can tell that does not include Dreamworks animated films. Everything else that have is anecdotal, they seem to survive on licenses alone, which might make them and easy target.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is Star Trek, being the geekI am. But this might be over by the time it comes out. I thought Tropic Thunder might be somewhat funny but, to me, that's not much of a loss. Everything else is in the wtf pile, as in I have no f'n idea about them.

So there you have it the Boycott of Viacom's assets all rolled up into a nice package, I doubt many will read this, but I plan on sticking to my guns, hell I might fire up my printer and leave this in coffee shops around town.

I know my blogging audience is small, so I need you're help to spread the word, if you are interested in a Viacom boycott then please send this off to like-minded people. If not, then leave flames and reasons why in the comments below I'd love to hear other sides to the story - the Viacom-breaches-privacy-and-I-Like-It camp.

One last note, I want everyone to focus on Tropic Thunder/Eagle Eye / Case 39. Those 3 movies are all releasing by the end of next month.

I would like to encourage alternative viewing exercises. Like piracy and hosting movie parties for pirated movies. But that's not something I should encourage so I'm not. No seriously I'm not! Stop thinking that I'm telling you to go to The Pirate Bay and download the torrents that are cam rips of Tropic Thunder, Eagle Eye, or Case 39 on their release dates. And whatever you do don't burn DVD's and leave them at your local coffee shop for patrons to take home. Doing this would be sincerely wrong, and I cannot be liable for your legal fees if you got in trouble doing that. So again I'd like to encourage such behaviour, but for legal reasons I'm not, so don't do it. You've been warned.

1 comment:

Inferno Armadillo said...

You used the Internet to propose boycotting Star Trek? That's bold. :)

I'm with you. I'm skipping all of the movies on your list.